|Spirituality For Life|
If I had to identify just one factor that had the greatest potential to create lasting health, healing, and happiness it would have to be self-acceptance.
Self-acceptance is the inner acceptance of who and what you are, just as you are. When you unconditionally accept yourself, you see yourself and all the different aspects of yourself – thoughts, feelings, images, behaviours, appearance, and life situation – clearly, with a welcoming attitude of non-judgement and non-attachment.
What is beautiful about relating to ourselves in this way is that a freedom and joy starts to arise spontaneously and from this we begin to see new possibilities. Rather than being stimulated by fear and rejection of yourself, these thoughts come from a place of love and acceptance.
Self-acceptance is critically important. It is intrinsically connected to one’s level of fulfilment, happiness, and peace of mind. People with a high level of self-acceptance:
· Are present, awake, and aware in the moment.
· Experience a deep connection to life, God, or spirit.
· Are able to express joy and freedom in most circumstances.
· Are more likely to treat other people with respect, care, and kindness.
· Feel healthier, happier, and more at peace.
· Experience a deep gratitude and reverence for life.
· Are much less likely to have depression or mental health problems.
· Are less likely to experience addictions or have problems with friendships and relationships.
Self-acceptance doesn’t happen overnight. In fact, developing it requires a lot of patience and consistency. But, it is the most deeply rewarding work you can do if you are truly committed to your health, healing, and happiness.
Source: Mark Atkinson, Holistic Health Secrets for Women: Discover Your Unique Path to Health, Healing, and Happiness (London: Piatkus Books, 2009), 113-116.
Photo credit: Intellimon Ltd.